How To Brew: Chemex
The Chemex is a classic, convenient and elegant brewing device - it’s in the permanent collection of the New York Moma.
Things you need:
Digital scale (We recommend this for best results)
Burr Grinder (Also for best results)
40 grams ground coffee or 8 level tablespoons
650 grams water or 20 fl oz
4-4.5 min total brew time
Yields 4 small cups
1. Look for a medium-coarse grind the consistency of sea salt
2. Make sure to use oxygenated filters.
Pre-wet your filter to rinse out any residual paper taste and preheat the brewer.
3. Start with 40 grams (or 8 level tablespoons) of ground coffee
Tare out your scale.
4. Saturate the bed of coffee with 100 (~4 fl oz) grams of water.
Using a stirring instrument, agitate the coffee vigorously to ensure total saturation of the grounds.
5. After the bloom (at approximately 45 seconds), slowly add the remainder of the water with an even, circular motion until a total of 600 grams of water (or 20 fl oz) has been added.
6. Give it a good stir to make sure no grounds are stuck to the walls of the filter.
7. The leftover grounds should be flat and even.
The brewing should complete in approximately 4-4.5 minutes
8. Serve and enjoy!