Now Hiring: Lead Barista
Read below to see if this person might be you or someone you know, and direct all inquiries and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lead Barista Job Description
The lead barista is expected to be a leader, role model, and standard-bearer for café employees—not only for their store but for the company at large. This position is intended to be a stepping stone for a career within the coffee industry, especially in education.
In addition to being an exemplary barista, the ideal candidate for this position is someone who is organized, responsible, punctual, self-motivated, and has excellent interpersonal and leadership skills. They should be able to relate to people of all backgrounds and abilities, and have a demonstrable interest and passion for coffee and the coffee industry.
● At least 12 months experience as barista, preferably at a high volume café
● Outstanding customer service skills
● Preference will be given to those with a NYS Food Handler's license; obtaining a license within 30 days of hire will be a requirement of the position
● Report directly to the Store Manager and Director of Education
● Work 3 - 4 shifts in the store per week, with 1 - 2 additional days for professional development, teaching classes, and/or giving 1-on-1 support to baristas at the store
● Work closely with the retail staff to improve coffee quality and knowledge, including observing and reviewing bar-certified staff and documenting feedback to share with managers and the education team
● Help maintain up-to-date logs and tracking of staff training progress
● Assist store managers with scheduling staff for training opportunities, including classes at the lab and individual sessions with staff members who are preparing for tests
● Assist in quality control at the store, including maintaining a log of weekly tasting/dial-in of batch brew, pour-overs, and espresso
● Enforce proper cleaning and preventative maintenance protocol for espresso and brewing equipment
● Be knowledgeable of new coffee offerings and hold tastings for staff of new coffees
● Lead at least one regularly scheduled class or cupping each week
● Perform service duties of cleaning grinders, changing water filters, pump pressure, screens and gaskets, and report any broken or malfunctioning equipment to the service department and the Store Manager
● Assist with teaching classes and assessing barista certifications at the lab, including assisting with SCAA classes and exams
Monthly Preventative Maintenance Duties:
● Changing water filters
● Cleaning grinders
● Changing gaskets & screens
● Checking pump pressure on espresso machine & adjusting if necessary
● Salaried position, also eligible for tips and profit share for any shifts worked
● Opportunities to participate in company health insurance and 401K plans in accordance with company policy
● Paid time off: 5 sick days and 5 personal days each year
● Opportunity to take SCAA classes and earn SCAA barista certification either through our training lab or by attending barista camp, as well as assisting with teaching SCAA classes
● Other professional development opportunities including and not limited to: MANE, SCAA Expo, Barista and/or Brewer’s Cup competition(s), etc.